If you're reading this and aren't already familiar with the piece, I encourage you to click the picture and look a bit closer because it's quite brilliant.
Here's the beginning of what may or may not become my own 100 list. I'll edit more as I go along.
For now, a top 10 - this isn't in any particular order of importance - Davies himself would often look back at his piece and bemoan (so to speak) picking one artist above another.
1. Jean-Michel Basquiat – Adonis ghetto prophet
2. Paul McCarthy - ketchup and prosthetic noses
3. John Baldessari – how to form a pithy quote:
4. Sean Landers – ha,ha.ha-
5. Salvador Dali- the biblical story on mescaline
6. Jackson Pollock – the noble savage
7. Tracey Emin- here's my bed, here's my “list”, now piss off
8. Edward Hopper – Mad Men, after-hours.
9. Tamara de Lempicka – champagne and oysters rockefeller at a Gatsby party
10. Gilbert and George – repressed gay Willy Lomans on acid.