Friday, June 19, 2009

On with the show!

Well, now that that first silly post is out of the way, let's begin with the "meat" of things.

I recently wrote a play, 'The Ratchet Men', and it was performed along with other 5 other student written and student directed plays at Miami Dade Kendall Campus. I consider it a pretty good feat, since I never thought I'd dabble in theater. I like reading plays and analyzing language, but the experience of writing this one-act play has put a proverbial "fire in my belly" to write some more.

I'll probably begin by expanding the current play into a 3 or 4 act play, and when I have some more ideas laid out, I'll write up a screenplay.

I've got some songs already in mind, two of which were unfortunately not used in the MDC production.
So I've got a total of 3 songs I definitely would like to use in the film version.

I won't actually post the script of The Ratchet Men here until I register it, but I'll give a synopsis. It sounds a bit odd because it was part of a press release that I and a fellow writer, my very good friend Jennifer Fumero wrote up to send to a few outlets. You can read it at: http://www.pressreleasepoint.com/miami-dade-college-kendall-campus-host-performance-original-studentwritten-plays

The synopsis, as quoted in the press release is as follows:

The opening play, ‘The Ratchet Men’ was written by MDC graduate and Philosophy major Katherine Concepcion. The play was inspired by the true-life story of Larry Smith, a con-artist who drafted phony land grants and sold the contracts to worried property owners, in the hopes that their property would not risk foreclosure. The play begins in media res, after the scheme began, with the two businessmen attempting to balance their books in a drugged out and drunken stupor. When one of the men accuses the other of having stolen some missing money, violence escalates and an unintended murder is committed. The remaining man’s paranoia increases and the play ends with a final, unexpected twist and shocking climax. Concepcion was also inspired by the British “Angry Young Men” literary genre, American writer Bret Easton Ellis’s tales of greedy, amoral “yuppies” embracing excess in all its forms, and playwright David Mamet’s high-testosterone, edgy action and dialogue.


In the interest of terse blog posts, I will write a bit more on the development of my idea in a future blog.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment